Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Noticeably Absent

Ah, hello again blog world, better yet, internet, even better still, relaxation and mind numbing activity. It's been a while. I am SO busy with work, by the time I get home, although it is early in the day normally around 3, I feel so exhausted that I normally just relax with the kids or the hubs, eat dinner, and go to bed. I don't really have any desire to do anything more.

Lately I've been daring and going out after work, like crazy stuff. The other day I went over to my Dad's house with the kids and had dinner, and last week went out to dinner with my in-laws. But seriously, if I'm not completely vegging out on the couch after work, I feel like I'm really pushing myself. Work just beats me up!!!

Don't get me wrong, I really love my job and I think the thing I love most about it is the satisfaction I get out of knowing I'm really helping people. I am helping someones Mom, Dad, Granmother or Grandfather, etc. Not to mention how aggressive Alzheimers/Dementia can be sometimes and being an at home Caregiver would be SO hard, I imagine. So, the simple fact that I'm making life easier for some of my resident's family is a reward. I also love getting to know the residents and sharing with them. I really think talking and more importantly listening to them makes a big difference in their day.

But maaaaan, the physical side of it, is strenuous. I'm lifting, shifting, tranferring, moving, and pushing people that are sometimes, 2 to 3 times my weight. Changing, bathing, bending, walking, activities, serving food, cleaning, and then some. It's a lot. By the time I get home, I'm definitely ready to sink into my favorite chair and never get up.


Phew, just writing this made me tired!!


(please forgive any spelling/gramatical errors, my brain is half here right now and I really don't feel like using google to search the words :) )

post signature

1 comment:

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

I hear ya! All the things I do may be a bit different than you, but they are physically, mentally and emotionally draining!

Today was my first post in a week. A WEEK! That's forever for me. It was actually kind of nice. (Sssh. Don't tell anyone I said that. ;)

Hang in there! The internet is always around. Take care of yourself...and family.

Sophisticated Steps